The Four Cornerstones of Building a Novel Workshop
Where: Lebanon Family Church Lebanon, Mo.
When: Saturday, April 28, 2012
Extra time allotted for personal coaching sessions
Cost: $60 – Lunch Provided
Space limited to 35 registrants
Faith-based, interactive writing workshop that will teach the basics of creating character, setting, plot, and theme for building a full-length novel from the ground up.
~Cornerstone One: Character
*Develop strong protagonists and secondary characters
~Cornerstone Two: Setting
*Set up each scene to seamlessly interact with your characters
~Cornerstone Three: Plot
*Develop a fresh plot to keep your characters in and out of trouble
~Cornerstone Four: Theme
*Weave your book’s message through your character’s journey
Who will benefit most from this workshop?
New and intermediate writers who are looking for the basics of writing a well-rounded novel of any genre.
What can’t I do for you?
- Introduce you to my agent or publisher—but I can point you to websites that will help you understand guidelines and protocol and increase your chances of being picked up.
- Promise you will be published if you follow my advice–but by the end of the workshop, you’ll have the basic tools necessary to write a novel that has the potential to capture an agent or editor’s attention
Private Critiques and 20 minute coaching sessions $30 (in addition to workshop registration fee—limited to first 5 attendees who register—please see guidelines for sending.)
What will you get in these private sessions?
- An in-depth critique of the first 15 pages of your novel that you can take home with you for study and reference.
- A discussion of strengths and weaknesses of the four cornerstones discussed during the workshop sessions including how you might strengthen your novel’s foundation.
- must be double-spaced
- 12 pt font
- pages clearly numbered at top right of page
- include a header with YOUR NAME, MANUSCRIPT TITLE, & EMAIL ADDRESS
- email attachment only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- subject Line: WORKSHOP PRIVATE CRITIQUE
- must be received no later than April 10th
|8:00 – 8:30am||Registration|
|8:30 – 8:45am||Introduction|
|8:45 – 9:30am||Cornerstone One|
|9:30 – 9:45am||Implement what you learned-private journaling; Q&A|
|9:45 – 10:00am||Break|
|10:00 – 11:15am||Cornerstone Two|
|11:15 – 11:30am||Implement what you learned-private journaling; Q&A|
|11:30am -12:15pm||Lunch # (see below)|
|12:15 – 1:00pm||Cornerstone Three|
|1:00 – 1:15pm||Implement what you learned-private journaling; Q&A|
|1:15 – 1:30pm||Break|
|1:30 – 2:15pm||Cornerstone Four|
|2:15 – 2:30pm||Implement what you learned-private journaling; Q&A|
|2:30 – 2:45pm||Closing and Dismissal|
|3:00 – 5:00pm||Private critique sessions **|
**private sessions additional cost—submissions received no later than April 10th
# lunch is being catered by a local, family-owned Italian restaurant and will be pasta, bread and salad. Anyone not eating that is welcome to have lunch on their own, but we can’t lower the price.
Lebanon Family Church
1450 Tower Road
Lebanon, MO 65536